Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. The first essential step towards a successful interview is, of course, preparation. The Evros Academy Interviewing series was created to explore the depths of a job interview and make sure you’re thoroughly prepped for that all-important job interview.
If you want to give yourself the best chance of success at a job interview, it’s critical to do your due diligence ahead of the interview. We’re kicking off the first instalment of the series with our pre-interview pointers that will help you prepare ahead of your interview:
Before the Interview:
- Know the exact place and time of the interview, the interviewer’s full name, the correct pronunciation and their title.
- Check the location before the day and explore alternative options of transport.
- Dress conservatively and preferably in darker colours, paying attention to all facets of your dress and grooming. TIP: Pastel block colours work well with a dark suit. Avoid garish tie patterns and red lipstick.
- Do your homework on the company. Look out for all relevant additional information including latest news and company updates. And don’t forget to ask around about the organisation.
- Highlight the skills required and essential responsibilities on the job spec. Get familiar with how your role will fit into the organisation.
- Refresh your memory on the facts and figures of your present or former employer. You will be expected to know a lot about the company for which you currently or previously worked.
- Read through and know your CV inside out including highlights and challenges overcome in relation to each project.
- Prepare the questions you will ask during the interview. You must determine whether the company will give you the opportunity for the growth and development you seek.
In the next instalment, we will be examining the do’s and don’ts interview checklist to make sure you ace that job interview. You can apply for the Evros Academy here.